27 Jan 2015
As part of the planning and consultation process for emh homes in 2013, Keary Design Associates provided the masterplan and assisted with the planning submission for the Braunstone Town Environmental Improvement Project which is targeted for completion this Spring. Focused on improving the community facilities around Kingsway Flats, Hastings Walk, Peverel Court and Burdet Close, the external works and landscaping will help:
- Integration of the open space
- Vehicle movement and parking
- Pedestrian movement and access
- Recreation and open spaces
- Define a distinctive character for the neighbourhood.
The Keary Design Associates team were pivotal in the planning process and public consultation meetings, providing presentational concepts, working drawings and detailed designs. Designing, costing and scheduling the landscaping works for the scheme involves close partnerships with emh homes and their landscaping teams for the soft and hard landscaping elements. The proposed improvements include:
- Footpaths and paving: using high quality paving with a blend of pavers and cobbles
- Tree planting: Using small, compact species to avoid overbearing shade and encroachment onto pedestrian routes. Defining and punctuating the space and increasing vertical presence.
- Soft landscaping: maximising the open spaces by ground modelling the grass terrain to create mounding and shaped areas, giving the landscape purpose and attraction. Seating and areas for children to play, with ground modelled areas peppered with wildflowers for colour and small tree planting for structure.
- Fences and boundary treatments: Knee rail fencing maintaining boundaries, removing bollards for improved traffic management and shaping to follow the landscaped areas.
- Street lighting
More news and images to follow when the scheme is complete in the Spring.